Glasses: c/o Firmoo.com
Last week, The Beauty Department posted an amazing tutorial for a funky topsy tail bun.
First, let me just say, I'm a huge fan of the topsy tail.
Second, this style is so easy.
- Gather hair in a ponytail at the nape of your neck.
- Secure with an elastic band.
- Pull the elastic band to the bottom of your ponytail, leaving about 1-2 inches of hair at the end of the ponytail (or until your shorter layers don't start falling out).
- Separate the hair in the gap of the ponytail right down the middle into two pieces.
- Bring the ponytail up and through the gap, creating an upside-down topsy tail.
- Repeat, repeat, repeat... the hair will begin to twist into coils!
- Once it's all coiled into a bun, secure the end of the ponytail underneath the bun with bobby pins.
- If your shorter layers fall out (like mine did), let them hang loose or pin them back. I gently twisted mine back and pinned them underneath one of the bigger twists (top right photo).
- You can tug on some of the pieces to give it some body and hide the part in the back.
- You can also tug on the coils to make them look a little bigger and more full. I had to do this because my bun was so small at first!
- A visual learner? Want to see how it is done? Visit TBD!
but I actually prefer it a little more loose and casual-looking.
I think it's perfect for a day at the office or a nice wedding updo.
I'd love to see your version of it. Tweet me or Instagram a photo with the hashtag #topsytailtwist!